Disclaimer

Do your own due diligence first before investing. The writer will not be responsible for any capital loss as a result of reading this blog.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009 Resolutions


New year and new beginning, I would like to be a little bit more serious and stop fooling around haha...

1) Achieve at least a B or B+ for all my modules. (Would be great to get all As, that would be my goal in mind, but I'm happy with a B.)

2) At least 3 hrs of quality reading a day. 2 hrs allocated to school work and 1 hr to finance books. (Definitely would want to spend more hrs reading. Warren Buffett reads at least 5-8 hrs a day. Not that I dont read, I'm a binge reader of everything online like politics, business news, world affairs etc. I hope to spend more time on books and less on other distractions.)

3) Finish reading Security Analysis. (Finally that 1 hr came to good use.)

4) Exercise at least 2 times a week. (I want abs!)

5) Sleep early and wake up early. (Sleep before 12am if there is school tmr. 1am if there is no school. Wake up at 9am. This rule wont apply if there are special occasions like partying. :P)

6) Plan out a daily timetable. (I'm a carefree lazy person, this is to help me organise and be discipline.)

7) Would like to meet more friends. (Half my life revolves around them haha...)

8) Investment goals. (Needless to say, read my previous postings for more info.)

9) Get a gf? (Everyone keeps telling me this. How do you actually "get" 1? Can buy with cash? Need lots of love right? Haha...*joking*.)

10) Last and most important, I wish everyone around me to be happy. (I am happy if you are, it means a lot to me. One of my reasons for living a happier life.)

Hope that I can meet all those targets. God bless and good health people! :D

4 comments:

Musicwhiz said...

Hi Cheng,

Good resolutions ! Don't fret about the gf part. Once you got a stable career and good financial discipline, the good girls will flock to you as they will see you as a stable guy to marry. I only got my first gf at 25 so since you are 23 this year there is no big rush. Study hard and good luck for exams !

I think personal finance will be more important than learning about investment. I would encourage most youths (20+) to read more about personal financial planning with regards to spending, saving and buying a house (in future) so that you do not make major financial mistakes which you may regret 10, 20 year down the road. I already have friends in their early 30's who regret taking that huge loan to buy a nice condo, even though they are hardly into their 5th year of paying their 30-year loan !

And yes, abs never did hurt in terms of attracting ladies. Too bad all I got is "horizontal abs" (i.e. a tummy), oh well.

Happy New Year to you and all the best for 2009 !

Regards,
Musicwhiz

Cheng said...

Hi mw,

Thanks for commenting! You are one of the first few bloggers I read when I was exploring into investing. I learnt a great deal from your posts and you have my gratitude. Will continue to learn and improve capital allocation skills. Going for the one that would give me the best returns over time be it stocks, properties or setting up own business.

Hey you start exercising a little too! Can impress your wife hehe...

Happy new year and good health to you and your family. :D

Cheers!
Cheng

Anonymous said...

Cheng!
was thinking about resos some time ago. Sometimes some of us spend a lot of time doing things and getting caught up with the little things in life, that we fail to look back and improve on our lives. It's encouraging to see that you've been trying to do these...I'll definitely work on it myself now!

Anyhow, another thing I had in mind was about being more liberal with my money. Previously, I have been a saver, or maybe you could say, a scrimper. I was the kind who tracked down my expenditure to the cent(literally), with the goal of not spending more than $10/day.

After a while, I started to realise that I still wanted to save as much, but I also realised that I prob should be a little more liberal with my spending. I started spending a little more money, but still generally sticking to the $10/day rule. Felt so much happier doing that. Bottomline I guess is about being happy and comfortable with ur money, but not too liberal:)

Cheng said...

Yo pat,

I spend mostly on food and drinks with friends. I don't limit my daily expenses though, just make sure I spend within my limits.

Used to track down daily expenses too! LOL... After 6 months I gave up. Too troublesome, sometimes if I went out with friends, I pay first then they give me a rough amount. In the end gave up on tracking it haha...

I'm sort of like a big picture guy, wont scrimp on little things. Sometimes I do spend a little bit more, but still can manage. As long as it's not into the thousands haha... :D I try to limit my monthly spending to $400.

It's true, we should be comfortable and happy with life. I wish you all the best too bro! :)