Disclaimer

Do your own due diligence first before investing. The writer will not be responsible for any capital loss as a result of reading this blog.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Year End Portfolio 2008

2008 is a tough year for all investors. Experts have mentioned that this financial crisis is more severe than the great depression of 1927. I don't know how long the bear will last, but I'm sure the market will rise again. Nothing is new in market cycles, the boom and bust, top and bottom. History repeats itself because greed, fear, hope and ignorance will always be there in the emotions of the market.

It's a fruitful year for me and a great learning experience to ride this bear market. I've grown wiser and hopefully my capital allocation skills have improved. Made many investor friends this year. They are all very successful in their own ways and I wish them well and a prosperous new year in the years ahead. They have taught me a lot and have given me great insights in personal finance and how to enjoy life. I would like to thank them personally. (pappy, dream, san jie, uncle88, kk, superfriends I've met this year and online friends...etc etc the list can go on and on :P) You can chat with us at pappy's blog, it's getting crowded haha...

I'm happy with the past performance as I've met my target of beating the STI ETF benchmark by 10% for 2 consecutive years. However past performance is not a good indicator of future performance. I feel that I'm quite lucky and would like to be lucky again. Only time will tell, after 5 years if I've not met my target, would be better off investing in the STI ETF itself.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all readers! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey cheng,
excellent! i see that you've been doing pretty well, ur star performer doing wonders for your portfolio huh:) well, let's all work towards better returns, and exchange ideas to improve on our investing technique!

Cheng said...

Hey pat,

Yea my star performer saved me and I wish to be lucky again haha... As long as I dont make any major mistakes, 1 or 2 big winners will do, the rest will be average. Managed to avoid a lot of companies I don't understand, that is why have only 2 companies, quite concentrated.

You did well too! Saw your portfolio. Hope to learn more from you. :D